Tuesday, June 28, 2011

[Review] Enthusiasm by Polly Shulman

Hey everyone! You guys have been really enthusiastic about my 100 followers giveaway, which is awesome and I'm so thankful :D If you haven't taken part in it, go ahead now! You have until 26 July to win a chance to buy that $10 book you've always wanted.

I also have some pretty bad news...school has started and I'm thrown into the world of academia once again, sigh. It also doesn't help that my Internet connection is going crazy and shuts down on me whenever it wants to. This means I MIGHT take awhile to respond to your comments and updates MIGHT not be as regular. However, I will DEFINITELY get back to you as soon as I can, so please, please understand! Hopefully once my schedule settles down, I'll be able to blog as frequently as I do in holidays (:

Here's the review...



Publisher:  Putnam Juvenile 

"There is little more likely to exasperate a person of sense than finding herself tied by affection and habit to an Enthusiast." Julie knows from bitter experience: her best friend, Ashleigh, is an Enthusiast. Ashleigh's current fancy is also Julie's own passion, Pride and Prejudice, and the heroine's quest for True Love. And so Julie finds herself swept along with Ashleigh, dressed in vintage frocks and sneaking into a dance at the local all-boys' prep school. There they discover several likely candidates for True Love, including the handsome and sensitive Parr. And Julie begins to wonder if maybe this obsession of Ashleigh's isn't so bad after all. . . .

This book had potential to be one of the cutest novels I’d ever read, despite the slightly serious-looking cover (I know there’s hot pink, but still). The story caught my eye because well, who doesn’t have a flighty, overly-enthusiastic friend who loves picking up new hobbies? Throw in a hot guy, a rule-breaking plan with lots of mischief, a kick-ass catchy title, and you should have the formula for a nice fluffy story.

Unfortunately, the story was not as captivating as I’d hoped. Maybe its just me, but I found myself getting tired of the Jane Austen language. The male love interest seemed a little flat, like a cardboard character who was propped up just to add romance to the story. Simply put, the book had an interesting premise, but did not manage to retain my attention throughout. I lost enthusiasm (pun alert! LOL) halfway throughout, and I’m not sure if I’ll ever return to this story again.

Have you ever had the experience of not being able to finish a book halfway through? What do you do in that case? Let me know!



2 comments:

Lan

Hey Felicia,
I have put down so many books that it's almost a habit. It's not that the books are necessarily horrible. They're just not for me. Don't feel bad if you can't finish a book. Luckily there are so many books out there that you'll probably like the next book you pick up and will forget about needing to finish this one! That's my experience anyway.

Felicia

I just feel disappointed whenever I have to stop reading a book, because I'm not exactly a fussy reader and most of the time I end up liking a story. But you're right-I will usually find something great that puts my mind off the unfinished book!

Post a Comment

It would make my day to hear from you :D
And I promise to reply either on the post you've commented on, or your own blog, because your opinions count!
I'll also always try to return the favor(: